Alamo is an emerging location with vibrant eateries, attractions, and events. Residents and visitors have fallen in love with this city for several reasons, including a robust economy, low living costs and a close proximity to the international border. Alamo has everything for everyone! Here are a few more reasons why you’ll love it here!
Since 1943, the Santa Ana National Wildlife Refuge has been attracting nature seekers from all over the world. Known as the jewel of the National Wildlife Refuge System, Santa Ana spans a remarkable size of 2,088 acres of land in Alamo. The refuge is home to over 400 species of birds and half of all butterfly species found in North America. Nearly 165,000 visitors come from all over the world each year to marvel at the refuge’s beauty. While 99,000 visitors come specifically for birdwatching, they also have a broad range of activities to choose from at the refuge, including hiking, kayaking, tours and guided nature walks.
There are several local favorite restaurants that people across South Texas rave about that are specifically inclusive to Alamo:
- The Original Willie’s Bar-B-Q – If you want some authentic barbecue, look no further than this restaurant. Their food is so mouthwatering and savory that Texas Monthly named Willie’s one of the best places for barbecue in the state. Our favorite is their loaded baked potato!
- Tower Burger Co. – Since 2014, Tower Burger has been enticing visitors from all over the United States with their flavor-infused and unique ingredient combinations. With vegetarian options available, Tower Burger offers delicious foods for every taste bud.
- Pachanga, Sabor a Mexico – The newest addition to Alamo has been making waves with their classic Mexican dishes. Great lunch specials combined with your favorite homestyle meals, Pachanga is one of our favorite places for lunch.
- La Michelada Drive Thru – There are regular drive-thrus, and then there’s La Michelada. They’ve put together so many flavors infused with drinks and food that your taste buds will dance. Not sure what to get? Try their Fresas con Crema, or Strawberries and Cream.
The City of Alamo’s Annual Watermelon Festival highlights South Texas’s love for this yummy fruit with watermelon eating and seed-spitting contests, kiddie rides, food and drinks, a beer garden, arts and crafts, live bands, comedy acts and so much more! The best part is that the Watermelon Festival is FREE! Mark your calendars because this year’s event will be on Saturday, May 13th.
Part of the Fifth Largest Metropolitan Statistical Area
Alamo serves as an international gateway to cities like Nuevo Progreso and Tamaulipas, and international trading and commerce increase when Winter Texans arrive. With an average 119,480 daily traffic count in Alamo along Interstate 2/U.S. 83, our city is full of opportunities for businesses looking for the perfect location with growing potential.
There are over 100,000 people with a retail demand potential of $500 million within a 10-minute radius of Alamo. A young, bilingual and skilled workforce has made the city a part of the fastest growing Metropolitan Statistical Area in Texas, giving businesses the advantage of investing in an emerging city.
A Business-Friendly Climate
Alamo works hand-in-hand with the Economic Development Corporation (EDC) to provide new business opportunities that will foster growth for the entire community. When it comes to businesses looking to open or relocate, the Alamo EDC has tailored incentive programs specifically designed to help entrepreneurs lay a firm foundation:
- Grants to new and existing businesses
- The USDA-Rural Development: Intermediary Relending Program (IRP) and Rural Business Enterprise Grant (RBEG)
- An opportunity to become a Rio South Texas Economic Council Regional Member
- The Local Business Retention Program
- Tax Increment Reinvestment Zones
The Alamo EDC also hosts various seminars for business owners looking for assistance with taxes, marketing, and business plans. Stay up-to-date with the Alamo EDC’s seminars by following us on Facebook!
For more information on tailored incentives to get your business growing or relocated to Alamo, call 956.787.6622.