Excellence in Education
The Pharr-San Juan-Alamo (PSJA) Independent School District is one of the most recognized in the nation when it comes to creating academic opportunities for its students and drastically decreasing its dropout rate by 85%. The school district serves three cities and tailors its K-12 curriculum to challenge and broaden the minds of over 32,000 students.
PSJA ISD’s main focus is to produce students who are college-ready, college-connected and college-complete. The district uses accountability ratings to measure results, yet encourages flexibility in the classroom to help each student reach their fullest potential. At PSJA ISD, students cooperatively explore, experiment and conduct research using creative problem solving and critical thinking techniques, providing them with a challenging environment to excel in.
District Success and Accolades
Our school Superintendent, Dr. Daniel P. King, has also been instrumental in maintaining the district’s high school completion rate at 97%. His door-to-door counseling program was created to encourage dropouts to return to school and finish their education and was nationally recognized by Senator Hillary Clinton.
Our school district has effectively bridged the ever-widening gap between PSJA and post-secondary education through programs such as the Dual Language Program, Early College Initiative and Dropout Recovery Program. All students can earn college credit, get a bilingual and biliterate education, and be part of nationally renowned educational programs at PSJA ISD. Some of our achievements include:
- PSJA Superintendent Dr. Daniel King received the national 2015 Positive Impact Award.
- PSJA ISD was honored by the National Association of Music Merchants (NAMM) Foundation and the University of Kansas as one of the ‘Best Communities for Music Education.’
- Two PSJA Elementary Schools received National Honor for Reading Performance.
- PSJA was designated a Recognized School District by the Texas Education Agency. 11 campuses achieved the Exemplary rating and 19 Recognized (2010).
- Bowie Elementary is a National Blue Ribbon School.
- North San Juan Elementary and Bowie Elementary are Texas Business and Education Coalition Honor Roll schools.
- Our district received a $2 million grant from the Texas Education Agency to support a new model for a district-wide college readiness initiative to expand college-readiness efforts to all students.
- We have increased the number of annual graduates from 966 in 2006-07 to nearly 1,800 graduates in 2009-10, an increase of more than 85%.
- Our High School Completion Rate now exceeds state and regional averages.
- Our district has two Early College High Schools: PSJA’s T-STEM Early College High School and PSJA North Early College High School.
- PSJA ISD boasts a State and Nationally respected Dual Language Program that is graduating bilingual and biliterate students.
- PSJA ISD was a finalist for the H-E-B Excellence in Education Award in 2009 and 2010 and selected as one of the five Outstanding Large School Districts in Texas.
Improving Educational Opportunities for Alamo
To learn more about the Pharr-San Juan-Alamo Independent School District and what we are doing to provide our children and the community with access to quality education and career opportunities, contact us today at 956.354.2000, or visit us at 601 E. Kelly, Pharr, TX 78577.